2017 CSR Exam
WRITING THE 2017 CSR EXAM
- Membership must be current. Go online and register and pay your 2017 dues at www.csrao.net
- The fee will be $75.00 and will include one preparatory class via GO-to-MEETING on September 9, at which time a sample recording will be sent to you and a sample test to practice with. Please bring cash or cheque to the exam site on the day of the exam.
- The CSR exam will be conducted on Saturday, September 16, 2017 at Toronto Court Reporters, (Bay & Queen) 65 Queen St. W. Suite 1410, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 2M5
The dictation is heard through an amplifier.
Exam format: (*** Please note these times)
Doors will open at 9:00 AM
Reporting Knowledge Test: 9:30 – 10:30 AM
At 10:30 or earlier (depending when the last person is finished writing the reporting knowledge) the skills portion will begin.
- 3-minute warm-up Q & A at 200 wpm
- 5-minute test, Q&A at 200 wpm
- 5-minute test, Q&A at 180 wpm
- 5-minute test, JURY CHARGE at 160 wpm
You will be allowed one (1) hour to complete one or more portions of the exam. No talking will be allowed during transcription times. You may ask examiner questions quietly by approaching. You will be respectful of each test participant. Please use paragraphs.
You will clearly start a new page, page break, and label each file:
Q&A 200 WPM NAME_______________ DATE:________________
Q&A 180 WPM: NAME __________________DATE _________________
JURY CHARGE 160 WPM NAME___________________DATE___________________
Please bring a USB stick; one will not be provided. Copy your files on to it.
No back up audio recording is allowed.
No headphones are allowed.
The Q&A is a two-voice, male/female. Word count: One word equals 1.4 syllables
The Reporting Knowledge Test includes punctuation, syntax, medical and legal terms and current events.
It is largely based on definitions contained in the Test material book, which will be available in electronic form to study from and will be discussed in the preparatory class on Sat. 9 September at 11:00 a.m. online. I will be using GOTOMEETING and will send you a link. The class may be 1-2 hours depending on questions asked.
Please contact me at email@example.com for further details. We will be using GOTOMEETING.
To pass the Shorthand Speeds Test, 97% accuracy is necessary. The Reporting Knowledge Test requires 75% for a pass. Once one part of the exam is passed, it need not be passed again.
WHAT IS AN ERROR?
Each wrong word.
Each plural noun read as singular or vice versa.
Each present-tense verb read as past tense and vice versa.
Each omitted word.
Each added word.
Each misspelled word.
Each wrong name.
Each omitted period or comma that is required by the rules of punctuation.
Each contraction transcribed as two words and vice versa.
Each omitted capital letter clearly needed. (ie toronto, Ontario)
EXAM LOCATION – 65 QUEEN STREET WEST, SUITE 1410, TORONTO ONTARIO M5H 2M5